Registrant Responsibilities


Where can a registrant go to verify their information?

Local law enforcement agency in the jurisdiction of residence , the County Sheriff’s Department or a Michigan State Police Post.

How long must one remain on the registry?

Michigan registry has three Tiers. Tier 1 must register for 15 years, Tier 2 for 25 years and Tier 3 for life. Tier placement is based on conviction statute and not an individual’s actual risk to re-offend.

How many times a year is a registrant required to verify their information?

A Tier 1 registrant must verify once a year, in their birth month.

A Tier 2 registrant must verify twice a year, in their birth month and 6 months later.

A Tier 3 registrant must verify 4 times a year, in their birth month and every 3rd month thereafter.

Are registrants required to pay an annual fee?

Yes. Registrants are required to pay $50 upon initial registration and $50 annually.

When is the annual fee supposed to be paid?

It is to be paid in the first month a registrant verifies in any given year.

What if a registrant is indigent?

The law allows for a registrant to prove to law enforcement that they are indigent which allows them to get the fee waived for 90 days.

How can a registrant prove they are indigent?

  • He or she has been found by a court to be indigent within the last 6 months.
  • He or she qualifies for and receives assistance from the department of human services food assistance program.
  • He or she demonstrates an annual income below the current federal poverty guidelines (

What information is a registrant required to change, with law enforcement, within 3 business days?

If registrant has changes in any of the following information, they must correct the information, in person, with law enforcement within three (3) business days after the change:

  • Changes or vacates his or her residence or domicile.
  • Changes his or her place of employment, or employment is discontinued.
  • Enrolls as a student at an institution of higher education, or discontinues enrollment.
  • Changes his or her name.
  • Intends to temporarily reside or travel to any place other than his or her residence for more than 7 days.
  • Establishes any electronic mail or instant message address, or any other designations used in internet communications or postings.
  • Purchases or begins to regularly operate any vehicle, and when ownership or operation of the vehicle is discontinued.

Does Michigan have a school safety zone restriction?

Yes.  With a few exceptions registrants cannot live, work or loiter within 1000 ft. of school property. The law is unclear as to how this distance is measured.

Can a registrant travel within the United States?

Yes. A registrant must let law enforcement know immediately (within 3 business days) if they are going to temporarily reside at any place other than his or her residence for more than 7 days.

Can a registrant travel outside of the United States?

Yes, but they must notify law enforcement at least 21 days prior to leaving the country if they are going to be gone for more than 7 days. It is very important for a registrant to very carefully check out the country they are headed to, as some countries will not allow registrants to enter.

If a registrant is homeless are they still required to verify their information with law enforcement?


If a registrant is homeless what “address” are they required to give law enforcement?      

Anyone who is homeless or lacks a fixed or temporary address, “residence” means the village, city or township where they spend a majority of their time.

Can a registrant stay in an emergency overnight shelter, even if the shelter is near a school?

Yes. The law restricts many registrants from living within 1,000 feet from a school. However, a recent court decision (Poe v. Snyder, 2011 WL 6781361 – W.D. Mich. Dec. 27, 2011) makes it clear that homeless registrants can stay in emergency overnight shelters near school property without violating the law.